Sunday, May 21, 2006

I Look Like

A new friend at work said something really shocking to me. OK I am exaggerating it wasn’t shocking. I was surprise all the same every time it happens.

He said ‘I knew you are from Malaysia, you look Malaysian’. He is not the first to say it. Many people have said that. What does it mean to look Malaysian? One of the partners I had the privilege of working with during my internship said the same thing. I know my accent is probably a give away that I am Malaysian. I love my Malaysian accent. But I never thought I have a Malaysian face. What is a Malaysian face anyway? I hope it is a compliment to have the Malaysian face. I sure am proud to be a Malaysian.

When I am in Malaysia people sometimes would say I look like I come from East Malaysia (Sabah and Sarawak). Now what does it mean to have an ‘East Malaysian’ face? I asked a friend this and she said probably cause I have big eyes and people from east Malaysia have big eyes. I am not convinced by the big eyes theory. And my eyes are really standard size. I am proud to be a Johorian (that’s what people from the south most state of Malaysia is called). I love my Southern accent even though people think it is not as gentle as the Northerners. I love it and I sure am proud of it.

When I was traveling in Italy with my bro last winter, the Italian guys keep saying ‘Koniciwa’ to me. They probably think every other fair Asian looking people are from Japan. I told my brother ‘I secretly like to think I look Japanese cause Japanese girls always give me the ‘kawaii’(cute) and gentle impression.’ Brother shakes head at her vain sister. Hey I am a girl after all and I sure love being a girl. And damn proud to be one too!

PS – Bon Voyage to Stella who is going to Canada tomorrow. Lucky bitch!! I can’t tag along cause I am too heavy to fit into her suitcase. Tu vas me manqué!!!! J’espère tu auras un 'fucking' bon temps en Canada!!! Gros bisous… Ze tem.....

6 comments:

Charlene said...

hmmm now that u wrote that.. i'm curious to know how malaysians look like too..

PJ said...

hahaha...Malaysians look like PJ and PJ looks like a Penguin. Malaysian looks like Penguin!!! gosh im super crap today..

Charlene said...

hmm let me guess... exam mania?? after effect of exam

PJ said...

hehehe..no no not yet..still got 3 more...

Stella said...

I'm no one's bitch.

PJ said...

hey dun take me too seriously...i was just teasing...hate to admit it but gonna miss u dearly..