Monday, April 03, 2006

Day Out

... at Birmingham.
Met up with my landlady and her lil girl. She is 18 months and so adorable. She actually liked me and wanted me to carry her. Babies normally don't like me and wouldn't want me to carry them but she liked me, she liked me!!! Her mum told me she don't normally like strangers but she like me,she like me!!!

The landlady told me that I have an American accent. I was like 'huh'. She probably never heard a Malaysian accent before. I told her I probably grew up with a wee bit too much of American TV.

The flat which is near the Chinatown.


I was told by my lady friend that the area is 'dodjay' (dodgy with a Brummie accent) but I spoke to 2 other friends (both male) they all seem to think that area is fine. The flat is quite small (smaller than the one I stayed in last summer and more expensive but is near the office, means I don't have to take the bus and be stuck in traffic). There are loads of pubs around that area which mean there will be drunk people around but of course that also mean there will be people around! I don't think it is unsafe or 'dodjay'. They even have a 24 hour concierge. Nowhere is safe anyway. And there is a 24 hours tesco just round the corner. I decided to take it cause I really like the landlady and her baby. Plus am too lazy to go looking for other places. So one thing settled. Now need to renew passport, apply for permanent National Insurance to pay taxes and all that. Also need to get a part time job so I can pay the deposit and all that. Oh man, growing up super duper sucks.

After saying goodbye to the baby which I even volunteered to babysit ( I must be out of my mind!), I met up with my old school mate, Ah Chua. Showed her round Bullring. I can't believe I actually managed to not buy anything with the sale there. I am so proud of myself.

Je te present ma chere amie, Ah Chua..


We had lunch at Selfridges Noodle Bar. I ordered Penang Laksa but I was cheated. I got a Curry Laksa which is Not Penang Laksa!! A nice looking English lady was holding the menu and asked me what number on the menu I was eating. I told her No.9 Penang Laksa. So tempted to tell her that it is actually not Penang Laksa but she wouldn't understand anyway. The curry was too coconuty and did not felt 'curry' enough. Ah Chua had udon. Even though the food wasn't fantastic ( and very misleading!), the service was pretty good. And I enjoyed myself sitting on the high stools eating something 'almost' Malaysian and catch up with an old friend, reminiscing about the good old days.


Totally exhausted from a day out in Birmingham. Gonna jump into bed and finish off Full House. Oh ya, another exciting thing is I just handed in my application form to be a volunteer steward at the Hippodrome, which is like 1 min from my 'dodjay' apartment!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow your life is super duper exciting!

Anonymous said...

I miss Brummie accents! I miss walking in to the corner shop and hearing "Alrrrrrooight???!!!" from the Brummier than Brummie owner.

You'll have an accent like that in no time ;)

Anonymous said...

yahoo! u finally met up with ah chua! but the area should be 'dodjay' nice! :)

Charlene said...

AH Chua!!!!! u met with AH CHUA!!!! haha.. gosh her hair is getting longer and longer each day...

hmm.. that kid must be in a good mood that day..haah kidding...

PJ said...

>Vicky,its gonna be quite scary moving alone into a big city and lonely too.but its gonna be ok.PJ will be tough!
>Mus,i love my Malaysian accent. i did kinda got a bit of the Brummie accent last summer tho but i lost it already 'ya knaw'. hehe..
>Charlene, ya her hair is very very long. Lana wasn't in a good mood. there were some moment of crying and screaming but i adore her.

Deriku said...

is it the gal-who-was-spotted-by-agent-n-nearly-turned-model ah chua?

PJ said...

ya i think she did do a bit of part time modelling or something. so i heard..

Charlene said...

oh Lana.... btw di u take any of her pics? i mena the baby

PJ said...

ya her name is Lana. no didn't get to take pics. next time maybe.. :-)

gspoh said...

Glad to know that you got the place, PJ! Don't worry, if there is anything you need, we will always be there for you!

PJ said...

thanks heaps.good to know that you submitted your work.can come down warwick visit me when you both are free.always welcome. :-)

Anonymous said...

thank you for the pic of the Selfridges laksa. I used to have it every Sunday when I was living in London and I get a huge craving for it every so often. I WISH someone could make it for me here!