Saturday, April 15, 2006

Alleluia!!!

Rejoice, rejoice, Christ has risen. Alleluia! Alleluia!!

My first Easter here in UK was actually quite sad. Most of the friends I went to church with, went home. Actually I didn't have that many friends just a few Italian friends. I didn't even know that there was a little church hidden behind Tesco. And I was too 'ham chi' (coward) to go for Easter Vigil at night alone. So I didn't but I did manage to find the church for Easter Sunday morning mass. That was the first time I met Father Jordan. Good ol Father Jordan. He is really old and amazing. Everytime he will ask me the same questions. What's your name? Where are you from? And the same old story of the time when he served at war in Asia. How could I ever tell him that I have answered his questions and that I have heard his war story like a million times. Its de ja vu everytime. But I know I will actually quite miss him when I move to Birmingham this summer.

Last year Easter, I was in Bangor, Wales for WiM (kinda like a choir camp) . I arrived there on Saturday afternoon and saw the Catholic church. But when night fall, I was again too 'ham chi' to go to Easter Vigil. Being my first day at Bangor I didn't want to get 'sesat' (lost) at night and I was too shy to ask if anyone was Catholic and going for mass. The next morning I attended a service at the Pentecostal church where we were staying. The children did a play which was so cute. In the evening I skipped dinner and went looking for the church again. I don't know why tears start to well when I was in there. I guess this is the feeling I often get when I am in a foreign church for the first time.

This year I am no longer 'ham chi' like the past 2 years. Having missed Easter Vigil for 2 years running, I wasn't going to miss it again. Was going to go alone but somehow ended up having Fel and Stella going with me. The readings seem much longer here than the ones at home. But it was really meaningful for me to be able to spend my first Easter Vigil mass here in UK with these 2 friends that I have gotten so fond off.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read in the papers today that 40 days before Easter was Lent. What did you forgo during Lent?
Hallelujah or Alleluia? :)

Stella said...

I didn't sleep, I'm so proud of myself. *beams*
Happy Easter my dear friend,
God Bless *hugs*

Anonymous said...

>shi yan,i think they are the same but am not sure reli. i didn't forgo anything. but i did fasted for a few days.
>stella, i couldn't wake up this morning for mass. me so bad. i set my alarm at 6am and i snoozed till 9.15am. sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....