Thursday, January 24, 2008

Lonely?

This question seems to pop up quite a lot lately.
Like every other day this week.
Friends..
Family...
Even some random people I meet.
Like nice 'aunties' from church, taxi drivers who wanted to give me their number...

I guess they must assume I am since I am on my own here.
Some probably just assume single people are lonely.

Made me wonder if I am lonely?

I think I was lonely when I first moved to Birmingham. I didn't know anyone here. Was missing friends from uni. Missing my family back home. Just terribly homesick. Like I was back in my first year again except I didn't cry this time.

But now I don't think I am lonely at the moment.
Perhaps I am getting used to being away from home.
Perhaps I am used to being on my own.
This is not good is it?
Perhaps I have managed to make some really good friends here.
I feel so lucky that everywhere I go I meet really lovely people.

People are not convince when I tell them I am not lonely.

'You must be lonely PJ. You need a man to fill that loneliness bla bla...'

Life is not just about 'that'.
There is so much more to life.

'But you need someone to 'complete' your life PJ...'

Made me think do we really have to have someone to feel 'complete'?

I guess we all want to love and be love in return.
But to love because of loneliness is the wrong reason to love.

Maybe I am just being idealistic.

Anyway, the pragmatic site of me is telling me I am not lonely at the moment.
I have finally got over the lonely feeling of moving to a new place.
I thought I was weird cause I took so long to get over that feeling. Almost a year!!!
But I met this girl who said it took her a year too. And she is only from Ireland!
I feel so much normal after talking to her.

Those love quotes on here are from Korean drama Soulmate.
I didn't make them up. I find them very meaningful.

I am convince I am not lonely at the moment.
2008 has been pretty good so far.
Enjoying every second of it.
There has been good days and bad days but everyday has been a blessing.

And for all the little special things that has happened so far, I am grateful.

4 comments:

Charlene said...

ohh haha welcome.. phew glad that u received it in 1 piece...
oh well that's what's the 1st question or 2nd question they'll ask when long long time no se friends meet u..
1) are u married (proceed to question 2 if no)
2) do u have a bf..
blah blah...
guess we need to go matchmaking liao..

Anonymous said...

'Loneliness' is felt by all, single or taken.

There is always a little place within that cannot be reached by others but yourself, so acknowledge that and take it as personal solitude instead of loneliness.

PJ said...

charlene!!! lol. matchmaking. i might actually ask my parents to arrange marriage for me. save the hassle of meeting someone, fall in love, get heart broken. lol. kidding..

PJ said...

hello stranger... very profound. and i totally agree. i think i have acknowledged that personal solitude which explains why i don't feel lonely. i am at peace with this solitude in me if that makes sense.
do i know you by any chance? or are you just a passing stranger?