Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Winter Warmers

Mushroom Casserole...



This dish is inspired by 101cookbooks but I modified it a little bit. I didn't have sour cream, so I just used milk and cottage cheese to make it moist and I added cashew nuts for a bit of crunch and earthy flavour. The brown rice was delicious. Brown rice always feels really dry when cooked in a rice cooker. Double cooking it in the oven in this cheesy-eggy-milky sauce just makes the rice so much more tender and yummier. This has got to be the Perfect winter warmer.

This is not a cucumber. Its a Marrow!!!



Marrow-chicory-red lentil soup.


I totally made this up. Bought the marrow. Was craving for some soup. Jo suggested putting lentils cause she loves lentils and Sei-chan suggested putting chicory. This is the first time I had chicory actually. Chicory is a veg that is like a mini version of the chinese cabbage although it tasted a little bit bitter like bitter gourd. And I used dried mussels and dried scallops that mum brought as the flavour base for the soup. We also added some vermicelli in the soup to add to the body of the soup.

Its so easy. Just put all the ingredients in boiling water, boil till cook, season to tasted and when ready to serve quickly add some vermicelli. Done.

Another perfect winter warmer.

Its Big Sun Day on Saturday!!!! Wickedy!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering about the dried mussels and scallops part because you are a vegetarian?.. :-)

PJ said...

i eat fish and seafood cos promised mum cos she worried i will be anaemic. ;-)

xxx

Charlene said...

wow i really thoguht that's a cucumber..hehe

PJ said...

i never bought it before cos it looks big and scary. its a bit bitter though. maybe cos probably need to cook it with meat.

i made it again without lentil but i think it taste nicer with lentils. ;-D