Thursday, February 26, 2009

My Promise

I am finally finishing Anthony Robbin’s book. I have had it for a few months now but have been so busy at work and outside work to actually finish it. The book has been renewed 3 times already and I was feeling a bit embarrassed that it has taken me such an outrageously long time to read it. But it’s a good book, not one that I want to rush to find out the ending.
In fact I think the end is actually the beginning - the start of change.

Like all good things in life, like all good books in life, you just don’t want it to end. Just like when I was running on a treadmill. I always start with trepidation. Can I actually run for an hour? But when you have run for 50 minutes and feeling the momentum, you just hate to end it. It’s the same feeling with a good book. Before you start, you just think to yourself, this is such a good (and thick) book. Can I actually ever find time to finish reading it? Lucky for me, this week I had to travel an hour each way to the client on the train which gives me plenty of happy reading time. I absolutely love getting the train, it gives you time to read, to think. It is better than wasting time stuck in traffic me thinks.

One of the many things this book made me realise is that we all have different sets of rules. I realised that the reason I got annoyed the other day was because the person involved had different sets of rules to me. We have different definitions of things and we each think we are right but actually no one is right or wrong. Its just our rules are different. There are No annoying people in this world except those whose rules differ from ours. At the end of the day, we just need to compromise our rules.

Now I am going to make a public declaration of my promise to me.

I promise ….

… to look at the sunny side of everything and make my optimism come true.
… to think only the best, to work only for the best and to expect the best.
… to forget the mistakes of the past and press on to greater achievements in future.
… to be cheerful at all times and treat everyone around me with loving kindness.
… to give so much time to the improvement of myself that I have no time to criticise others.
… to be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear and too happy to permit presence of trouble.
… to be true to myself.
… to make each day my masterpiece.
… to drink deeply from good books.
… to make friendship a fine art.
… to pray for guidance and live each day with gratitude for all life’s blessings.
….to love with all my heart and let love be my energy.
… to add value to my work and making a difference in everything that I do.

This is my promise for eternity.

No comments: