Saturday, January 14, 2006

Memoirs

The leaves of hope shed one after the other until there was none.

Just got back from watching Memoirs of a Geisha. I have been looking forward to watch this movie. Read the book years ago,when I was in college and love it.
Perhaps I expected too much. The more you expect the higher the disappointment.
I am disappointed.
Having the movie in English with a Japanese setting just feels so wrong.
They should have had it in Japanese with English subtitles.
As always movies could never do justice to books. The movie failed to bring out all the emotions that I felt when I read the book. The cast were great but somehow there is still much lacking in terms of bringing out the emotions in me. Gong Li seem to have lost weight and she looks like Zhang Zhi Yi in the movie. It is a bit disturbing that an older man were to fancy a little girl. Is it the culture at that time?

But I am still as fascinated as ever by the very unique culture of Japan. I really hope to go there one day to see the cherry blossoms, make a wish at the shrines and eat lots of ramen.

Even though I am disappointed, it was a fun night out with the rest of the gang.

Now it is back to work. I am very interested in the topic that I am writing and wish I had more time to do more reading but alas it is due on Monday. Got to go be a nerd now ...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both of u & Vicky seem to be a bit disappointed with 'Memoirs'...Thought of going for that this evening....maybe I should just watch it from my friend's vcd....

PJ said...

sing cher, go watch it, you might like it. haf u read the book? if you havent then you will probably like it. cos my fren havent read it and she liked it and another fren read the book liao so she didn't like it like me.

Anonymous said...

hmm guess a lot of people expected too much from memoirs of geisha..... cos most seems disappointed with the movie.. hmm think i have better not try to read the da vinci code as the movie will be released soon...

PJ said...

ya Charlene watch the movie first then read the book. i read it last year and it is a very engaging book. but most only take it as fictional tho.

Anonymous said...

Hey, know what? I watched the movie and felt so dissapointed with it. Then, the next day, I borrowed the book to read....muahahha.....and realized that the movie is actually quite nice...so weird....:P

Anonymous said...

hi pei jie, are you referring to the da vinci code?

btw cny is coming... any deco at your hostel room?

PJ said...

Helo Vicky!
so weird.. i reli liked the book when i read it 5 years ago.. not sure if i will still like it now tho... i was a young girl then.. hehe..

Yo Charlene.. ya i meant the Da Vinci Code... no decor yet.. so lazy.. hmmm..maybe i shud..will take pics if I do n show u..