Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Read

The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid.

I picked this book up at the airport together with JK Rowling's new book.
The story is not unpredictable but the brilliance of Mohsin in bringing alive the characters is highly commendable. I started reading Rowling's new book first but got bored and started reading The Reluctant Fundamentalist and I was hooked.

There are a lot of subtle themes in there that I am sure everyone of us can relate to. Hope, ambition, disappointment, betrayal, hurt, expectations...

One thing that really made me think was the 'drive' to succeed. I used to have that 'drive' or 'hunger' but I feel I have lost it over the years. Perhaps it is still in me but it is not burning as it was a long time ago. The fire seems to be fading.

Mum noticed it and asked me where the 'drive' I used to have had gone. Maybe it is just resting. Perhaps it is taking some time off. Perhaps I need to find new challenges to reignite the fire. Perhaps...

2008 has been a tough year. It will always be the year I rediscover myself. It marks the end of a beginning and hopefully I will be able to find the fire in 2009 ...

No comments: