Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Retired

Have been volunteering at a school to help some kids with Maths.
I just love starting the day with the kids.
It feels like you are doing something worthwhile.
Even though I wasn’t too sure of how to control the kids.
I don’t want to tell them off cause I am not their mother.

Some of the kids were really rude and difficult.
I feel grateful to mum and dad.
I think they have brought me up well.
I think I turned out alright. I think…

I thought of my dad who is retiring today and how he has dedicated his life to being a teacher.
34 years!!! I think it is pretty amazing.

I could still remember how he taught me to walk, to read, to count…

I was a slow learner when I was a kid. I still remember being kicked out of the house because dad got so annoyed trying to teach me. I think I was 7 then. I was so stupid that by the time I had mastered how to read, my 4 year old brother was just as good as me.

But dad never gave up on me.
He always believed in me.

I think the most important thing to date that he has taught me is to believe in myself.
I have come a long way from a kid who was struggling to read.

I am who I am.
I am where I am.
Because of my loved ones who never stopped believing in me.

Their love and faith has made everything in life worth striving for.

4 comments:

zhongshiun said...

your childhood memories really brings warm memories, warming up this cold lonely heart here...

haha, you had to stand outside staring at the grass... luckily it wasn't raining...

PJ said...

cold lonely heart? stoopid lah you.

you know what i had to do this week. i have to wait in freaking 4 degrees celsius for 30 mins everyday for the train home. you won't know what cold lonely heart is until you have experienced that. ;-p

still young man... enjoy lah...keep the heart pumping!!xx

Deriku said...

my dad retired last year and so did my mom a few weeks back. i can only say our schools will miss the services of 2 dedicated educators :)

PJ said...

your folks are teachers too!!!

its really amazing what teachers do isn't it? like even now i can still remember some of those 'wise' words that my teachers told me. ;-)