
Was really looking forward to this film.
Hence the expectation.
Not disappointed but was expecting more.
Perhaps we should never have any expectation when we watch a film.
It is weird watching Andy Lau as the old vulnerable gangster big brother. His image in my mind has always been cool and macho. I was expecting more from my fave actress Anita Yuen. But she wasn’t given much of a role in the movie. The other actress which I can’t remember her name was absolutely brilliant.
The Protégé is a far cry from the Hong Kong version of The Departed which is one of my fave gangster movie. However, the former highlights issues that are very much different from the latter. The Protégé questions why people do drugs. Is it because of emptiness? Perhaps being empty is worse than doing drugs. Perhaps…
Films always turns out better when you expect nothing.
Also watched Curse of The Golden Flower. Expected little of it and I was surprised that I actually enjoyed it. I didn’t realise that Jay Chou was in it until the credits started rolling. And Jay Chou actually looked like my cousin, KJ from certain angles in the film. I must tell him that the next time I see him in London.
This film is a bit disturbing actually but it kind of epitomise human nature.
Love and hatred are inseparable.
Makes me wonder if perhaps heaven and hell could actually be the same place…
Hence the expectation.
Not disappointed but was expecting more.
Perhaps we should never have any expectation when we watch a film.
It is weird watching Andy Lau as the old vulnerable gangster big brother. His image in my mind has always been cool and macho. I was expecting more from my fave actress Anita Yuen. But she wasn’t given much of a role in the movie. The other actress which I can’t remember her name was absolutely brilliant.
The Protégé is a far cry from the Hong Kong version of The Departed which is one of my fave gangster movie. However, the former highlights issues that are very much different from the latter. The Protégé questions why people do drugs. Is it because of emptiness? Perhaps being empty is worse than doing drugs. Perhaps…
Films always turns out better when you expect nothing.
Also watched Curse of The Golden Flower. Expected little of it and I was surprised that I actually enjoyed it. I didn’t realise that Jay Chou was in it until the credits started rolling. And Jay Chou actually looked like my cousin, KJ from certain angles in the film. I must tell him that the next time I see him in London.
This film is a bit disturbing actually but it kind of epitomise human nature.
Love and hatred are inseparable.
Makes me wonder if perhaps heaven and hell could actually be the same place…
8 comments:
ohh u've watch curse of the golden flower?
is it really nice?
tot of watching but when i see jay in it.. and gong li dressing.. don't feel like watching it anymore...haha
protege - nice effort for a gangster movie, but it is waaaaayyy off my benchmark for a great hong kong gangster movie - INFERNAL AFFAIRS (thats the best i've watched so far, so much so that the rest pale in comparison). and i don't understand why the main actor chose the drug addict woman compared to cute andy lau's sister-in-law.
curse of golden chrysanthemum - highly watchable movie with great scenes and costumes. but jay chou's expressionless face at times makes me laugh, especially the first few moments when he meets gong li (actually i think his face stays the same throughout the movie). my benchmark for these kinda movies is HERO and BANQUET - super artistic (though i think you might sleep through it coz it requires thinking, haha)
exams finished d, but straight back to studying brains and nerves already, sigh.
best movie i've watched of late is THE PRESTIGE. bout two illusionists who try to outdo each other. thought it was a lame story when i started watching it at midnight last night, planning to watch the first half hour. but ended up sleeping at 2 something - story line keeps you at the edge of your seat and awake.
oh yeah, and i think the departed is no where near infernal affairs in terms of style.
the departed ended too badly, the characters were killed in such a way that it seems that the director was rushing to go home for dinner.
hi charlene, curse of the golden flower is watchable but not great. i thought gong li was pretty good. jay chou was ok lah. ;-p
zs, yes infernal affairs is still the best. i was gonna write about that but i couldn't remember infernal affairs. all i had in my mind was departed which was crap compared to the HK one.
gonna watch the prestige tonight or over the weekend...
might try to get online and chat with you over the weekend if you are not too busy.xx
COTGF was a bit artsy, overall better than most mainland films which i just cannot get, most of the time.
IMHO protege was good. not great, but good enough. again shows that the veterans pwn the youngsters.
derek, ya cotgf is a bit OTT at times but watchable nevertheless.
was expecting more from protege. maybe what was lackin is tony leung. ;-p
zs, prestige is pretty good. a bit slow. i took a nap after the first half then woke up to watch the second half which was much much better. maybe cos i was feelin more awake after the nap. ;-p
haha, looks like there's quite a bit of film debating going on here.
I watched COTGF, and thought Jay Chou's acting skills prolly did improve a lil bit after "Initial D".
I so wanna watch The Protege tonight...and ok ok, I am not going to expect a lot out of it...:P
hey vicky!!!
i think jay chou is better off singing..
protege is watchable. i think you will enjoy it. a lil bit disturbing at times...
Post a Comment