I remember when I was about 12 or 11, I told my mum I want to do charity work to help others.
And my mum looked at me and said ‘Charity begins at home…’
I am still not totally sure what my mum really meant. Perhaps she is trying to say if you want to help others you should help your family first. Perhaps…
As I was browsing through the papers and reading about people doing good deeds. It made me think.
Do people do good deeds just to feel good about themselves?
Or is it out of a pure heart to help others?
And all these charity work, is it just the rich men game?
Somehow I am pretty convince that people who can go off and do charity work are mostly rich people. The average people can’t afford the time and money for that when they have other things to worry about like paying off their student loans, paying taxes etc. Rich people also don’t have to worry about taking care of their folks because most probably their folks are rich too and can take care of themselves. So they become all noble and aspire to take care of others who they think are less fortunate than them.
I am sure there are many people out there who do good deeds out of a pure heart and I totally salute them for that.
But the truth remains that you are more able to help others if you are affluent.
As I was browsing through the papers and read about the rich hooking up with the rich. It made me think.
Rich people meet rich people. Rich people marry rich people. The rich become richer with more power than ever.
And then they have nothing better to do because they are too filthy rich, so they do charity work.
Out of a pure heart?
Or to make themselves look better?
Good Samaritans or just pure hypocrites?
Wednesday, May 09, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
frankly speaking.. sometimes when i help strangers... i'm not even sure if i'm helping them from the bottom of my heart or just bcos i want to do a good deed..
i guess at the end of the day it doesn't matter. as long as you did your best with a clear conscience. :-)
u know charlene, you are one of the kindest people i know. xx
ah...don't say that... now i feel so shy...haha *hide behind curtain*
Post a Comment