Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Advert

Mama Daffy is doing a crazy stunt.

Not in the kitchen this time.

She who has been a wonderful mudder and friend to so many of us has gone absolutely crazy!

She is going to shave her hair!

Just those on the head I think...

A picture of Daffy before she turns into a sexy baldie..

Its all for a good cause.

Do do pledge your support for the Amazing Daphne Yuan here.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi PJ! Thank you for helping me raise more money for the children at the Children's Cancer Foundation =) This will definitely bring you good Karma! *hugs*

PJ said...

my pleasure!
i wish i had the courage to do it too.. unfortunately im too ham chi...xx

Anonymous said...

Dun do it. There are other ways. WHy go to the extreme? Have you checked if you have a good-looking head? Are you going to shave your eyebrows too? It's gonna feel so itchy when the hair are poking out again and there'll be rashes if you scratch. Lastly, for an asian girl to do this, i assume that you are single. ?

PJ said...

WHy go to the extreme?
A: why not?

Have you checked if you have a good-looking head?
A: dun be so vain..

Are you going to shave your eyebrows too?
A: dun think daphne is goin to shave her eye brows...

It's gonna feel so itchy when the hair are poking out again and there'll be rashes if you scratch. Lastly, for an asian girl to do this, i assume that you are single.
A: that is presumptious and totally out of context to shaving her head.

Anonymous said...

Anon> I guess I sort of understand your viewpoint, as all those thoughts did run through my head at some point of time before I made the decision.

Still, I figured that the more I didn't want to, the more I should. These little kids with cancer never had a chance to protest against their contracting the horrible illness, and have had no say in whether they were willing to let their hair fall away.

At the end of the day, it is about compassion and the abandonment of vanity. Having an itch or a rash is just something I'll have to live with for a while. And surely compared to the pain and nausea of chemotherapy, it seems incredibly insignificant?

You're right on the last point, that I am single. But if I were attached, I would still go ahead with this. And my other half would never disagree with me on my decision because having a heart takes priority among the qualities that I look for in a person.

Having said all this, I'm still glad that you feel this way, or my action would not be as significant as it is. If everyone felt that shaving their head was not a big deal, I wouldn't be able to get that much support from my friends, family and even strangers who recognise the drastic measures I'm taking, and hence dig much deeper into their pockets for this cause.

PJ said...

drum rolls...

Daphne Yuan rocks!

Anonymous said...

Having had close relatives died of cancer, i've seen what they had to go through - the treatment, the hair loss, the whole work, and I'm not even going to try to understand their pain because there is no way that i can fully comprehend and empathise with what they went through.

It's hard to make a case against something that has a good cause. I'm bound to get a typical response of "why shouldn't you do it?" Here's what I'm thinking, how many of your friends will donate with children in mind? How many actually care? You might say their reasons for donating are irrelevant since what counts is the amount you earned that can be put to good use. But all I'm seeing is people praising you for being brave, being kind-hearted perhaps, being selfless. Where are the children?

My view is simply this - there are other ways to get donations than to shave your head. Wouldn't a collective activity receive more donations than individuals?

PJ said...

everyone does things differently.
at the end of the day all that matters is a good deed done with a pure heart.

despite your different view. i hope you will support daphne because it is pretty amazing what she is going to do. she asked me to do it with her but I have no courage to do something like this. ;-)

when people leave comment as anonymous, i often wonder if i know who you are. let me know if i know you or even if i dun know you. it is always nice to know people who actually bother coming here.

Anonymous said...

you know me very well. i know you. i know daphne. We're about to go on a trip together. i hope there'll be no friction then, pj !

PJ said...

its you!!! ;-)
see you sat! xx

Anonymous said...

next saturday,yup yup

PJ said...

THIS sat lah!!

next sat is the real thing! ;-p

Anonymous said...

Eh! I don't know you!

Anyway, I'm sure that when people donate, they are fully aware that they are donating to the children in the Children's Cancer Foundation. Although perhaps you're right, that some might not donate with children in mind. But it is then my responsibility to emphasise the children (in my emails) and to thank them on behalf of the children for the donations. The responsibility of the shavees are much more than perhaps some of us imagine.

And you're right. There are probably other ways to get donations than shave my head. A collective activity might receive more donations than individual effort, so why not combine both for greater impact? A big group of people shaving their heads together on the same day?

Also, it is a personal thing. As much as it is about the money, I feel that it is a statement that I'm making. A bold, hard-to-miss kind of statement. That the little kids who have to watch their hair fall away in clumps shouldn't be too ashamed about being bald. It's not a scary thing if some people like me even choose to be bald!