Japan?
No
Taiwan?
No
Korea?
No
I was at the Emirates restaurant at Dubai and a few of the chefs working there asked me where I was from.
‘I am from Malaysia.’ Finally I told them.
Turns out one of the chef was from Kuala Lumpur. And the other chefs laughed at him for not being able to guess that.
It is funny because when I was in Taiwan, I remember one of the ah yi we met say ‘You look Malay but not the other two.’
Walking back home today, I met this Chinese lady who started talking to me in Cantonese. I surprised myself when I started talking to her in pretty fluent Cantonese. I am quite impressed by myself. She probably thought I was from Hong Kong. Who knows if you put in me in France I will start speaking like a French girl!
When I got home, I got a letter written in Mandarin from dad. I could only read half of what was on there without my dictionary but I was touched and tears welled up in my eyes even before I could open the dictionary.
I guess it doesn’t matter where I am from except that I am my daddy’s daughter.
P/s – Had such a good laugh on the train today. Actually everyday this week has been a good laugh. Work has been challenging but at least you have a friend to laugh with. Like proper laughing spree. Reminds me of the Malay words ‘ketawa terbahak-bahak’. I wonder if I will meet anyone as cool as her in future. Gonna miss her loads.
Thursday, April 02, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment