Saturday, April 28, 2007

Global Citizen

This post is inspired by Prof Lee who has never stopped inspiring me since I was a little girl.

The New Worker according to him:
1. Not tied down by one employer.
2. Free to do jobs that stimulate.
3. Global citizens, will work anywhere where the jobs are.
4. Work for short periods.
5. Enjoyin a satisfying lifestyle in a high quality environment.
6. Multiple careers in their lifetime.

I felt something when I read this. And I suddenly felt inspired to blog about it even though to be honest I am not sure what I am going to blog about. So this entry is totally spontaneous and I am going to blog whatever that come to my mind next.

I guess the Old Worker would be one that is loyal to one employer and work for them for all their life until they retire like my dad.

Young people of today work in a very different environment. There are more opportunities available to us. If we look we will find it. And we the young ones get bored easily, if a job does not stimulate us, we quit and we move on to something more challenging.

I feel like a global citizen in a way. It wasn't a conscious choice to be one. Somehow it just happened. I think I am quite lucky really. But at the same time I feel out of place sometimes. I feel like I am still very much attached to my roots. Its not a bad thing but somehow because of that I will always be outside the circle. I could move into the circle but do I want to change? And because I am so used to different cultures, I will be still outside the circle if I go home. I will always be outside the circle regardless because I am a global citizen.

But because I am a global citizen. I am so used to being a modern day gypsy. I have not had a permanent home for 3 years. I am constantly on the move. I only see my parents once a year. It is tough to be a global citizen. And sometimes it makes me think if it is worth it and why people envy me for the volatile lifestyle that I lead and want to become a global citizen.

The volatile lifestyle is actually very thrilling when you first start. You are on the move, you get to meet so many people. You get to go places. But as time pass by you will get tired and you will start to wonder on what really matters. I guess Life is what you make out of it. But it also dawn on me that what really matters most to me is to find a place where I belong. Somewhere where I truly feel at home. A place where the heart is.

Might be here. I am getting very fond of UK. It has become a home to me in a strange way. Might be Malaysia, back to my loved ones. Malaysia is home and will always be home.

Might be anywhere really, who knows what the future holds for me.

4 comments:

Stella said...

I'm sure you'll find the place where you belong soon PJ, where you'll be very happy taking care of your kids & hubby:) I guess it's just a matter of time & your life can change within one mini second..

p.s: I'm very honoured to be a member of your family BUT I'M NOT SASSY LA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!:P:P SIAO LA YOU

PJ said...

hahaha....erm i wasn't thinkin of kids or men when i wrote that entry.

i was readin my palm and apparently i will have a troubled love life. i guess i just have to accept my fate. besides i am very blessed already, can't be too greedy.

you are sassy and sexy! you know it too...

took me ages to the links while waitin for ef yest who was very very late. ;-p

Lik Meng said...

Hey PJ, very well said. And you also described another character of the global citizen - one who is very much interested in her roots and culture.

As for the life line, don't worry too much about it. When I was on school trip to Penang, we visit one of the famous temples (reclining Buddha) and there was this Wheel of Fortune. Put in 50 cents to know your fortune. Me said that I am like "boat in the ocean" - in effect saying that I will be all alone. Bugged me quite a bit. So far, I am still surrounded by lots of love and caring people. Bottomline, you have caring friends and family - you will be OK. Take it from someone with lots of experience, if not wisdom.

PJ said...

hi uncle lik meng!

im not too bothered really. ok maybe i was a bit. but i spoke to my dad about it and realised how silly i had been.

but im still very much intrigue by palmistry. all these stuffs intrigue me very much. but they never tell me good stuffs. hehe... my friend did a tarot readin for me and it was bleak too. but actually my life is pretty good really.

and yes im lucky to be very much loved by family and friends.

i love your blog. don't stop blogging. you might become the next big thing in blogosphere. ;-)