Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Mementos

Being on holiday abroad for the first time dad wanted to get souvenirs for all his family and friends. Just some thoughts on souvenir buying. In my first year at uni before going home for the summer, dad called me and asked me to get mementos to bring home for the 'big clan' ie family and friends. So I hop around asking people what I should get that is really special that I can only get in UK. No one knew. Probably there is nothing special from UK. Some people claim that chocs from UK taste better but I think they are about the same. Souvenir buying is a headache if you have lots of friends. I also got some key chains and fridge magnets for some friends only to be told by them they are Made in China. Aiya, everything is Made In China these days! Last year I bought my mum some cheese only to be told by her, she could get it at Tesco in Melaka at a much cheaper price! That got me really pissed. I got my cousin some tea also to be told by her that she can get it from the local supermarket. Aiya these days, the world is so globalised we can get anything from anywhere.

This year, is the first year I didn't buy any mementos from UK (Made in China) to bring home with me. Aiya, don't know what to buy lah unless you let me know what you want. I almost wanted to get some Irn Bru (the very tasty High Caffeine Scotish Coca Cola) but it was too heavy to lug back. Instead I will probably nick some of the chocs that dad bought to share with friends. Hopefully there is enough to share with the 'big clan'.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey...u forgot to get me PRINCE WILLIAM!! hehe..

wat bout Penguin biscuits?

Deriku said...

how about some hoegaarden? it costs a bomb here :D

PJ said...

hehe...ya there are some Penguin chocs..hope to see you tomoro Celina!!xxx

hey derek, my dad finish off your beer this afternoon. im reli sorry.. next time i will get you some hoegarden and i will hide it in my room. ;-p