Was reading the Sunday papers and there was this rather amusing article about a lonely hearts ad which says ‘I’m tired of beating about the bush. I am a beautiful (spectacularly beautiful) 25-year old. I am articulate and classy. I am not from New York. I am looking to marry a guy who makes at least half a million a year.’ This ad received a pretty harsh but scarily true reply from an Investment Banker : ‘You bring your looks I bring my money. But here’s the rub. Your looks will fade but my money will continue in perpetuity. In economic terms, you are a depreciating asset. You are 25 and likely to stay hot for the next 5 years but less so each year. In Wall Street terms we would call you a trading position not a buy and hold. I hope this is helpful and if you want to enter into some kind of lease let me know.’
I feel strongly about women being independent financially. Even if I have a rich man, I would not want to ask him for money since I can earn it myself. The reply from the Investment Banker made me laugh even though it is actually quite sad that women are depreciating assets as they become less ‘wanted’ with age. On the contrary, I think most women would agree that most men do become more attractive as they get older. Life has never been fair!
I know this might sound crazy but I love reading the lonely hearts ad section (not cause I am looking for a match!) just to be amused by some of the things people write about themselves.
Can’t help but wonder what I should put if I were to put up an ad….
After much deep thought I think this is what I will put on my ad:
I am average looking petite girl. Shoe size: 3 ½. Currently hunting for the elusive pair of 3 ½ size boots which has to be sexy but comfy. I have fewer shoes than my male housemates because I am very fussy with shoes. Even though I have small feet, I love eating. I recently made some of my male friends look like girls with my enormous appetite. Not sure to be embarrassed or proud that I eat more than the boys. I am looking for a man who can make me laugh and who will love me for the eccentric girl that I am.
Not bad eh. I am impressed I came up with that. Mum’s been reminding me that I am a depreciating asset. Not sure to laugh or to be worried. But I doubt I will ever put myself up on Lonely Hearts. I have too much pride and too little courage to do something like that. Guess I just have to wait patiently for Mr Right…
Disclaimer : The above is not an ad. Please do NOT reply.
Monday, October 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
err... no commet..haha spamming...
well let's try to reduce our depreciating looks asset but increase our $$$$ assets
hahaha...
i would like to say money is not everything but being quite broke atm, yeah increasin ££££ will be good. ;-)
Oh, it's okay - i have the pride and courage to put for you....hehehe... AND me.
Buy and hold a lot, regenerating assets on par with Botox and silicone enhancement. Grace =)
Mum’s been reminding you?!
scary...
Maths is hard!
hahaha, grace you make me laugh. botox seems like such a common thing these days. i dun even bother with make up cos im so lazy. ;-p
zs, all the time! dun b lazy k. check for me ler.
Post a Comment