Saturday, February 10, 2007

Snowy

One of the heaviest snow fall in England for years. Unbelievable.

As I look out of the train on my way to work, somehow it felt sad looking at the falling snow. It brought out a kind of melancholy feeling. It made me think of home. It made me realise how faraway I am from the ones I love. Sometimes I feel I have everything yet I have nothing here.

As I admire the pretty sight of houses with white roof tops and a vast whiteness in the fields. I thought of the times when I was a little girl. I would look at pictures of winter paintings in calendars. It was a fantasy, to build a snowman. A fairy tale fantasy I always had as a kid.

As I walked through the thick snow, I followed the foot prints of strangers and wondered what was in their minds as they braved through the snow to get to work. I could hardly feel my toes and my face was numb, and I was tempted to stop walking but to turn back would be cowardly.

As I tried not to slip on the snowy roads, a friend offered an arm to hold onto. And as I drag my heavy bags to work because I could not get a cab, a kind stranger offered me a lift. Nothing but genuine kindness that lights a fire in the heart on a very cold snowy day.

As I watch the snow fall through the windows, I thought of the first snow fall when I first arrived in England. I thought of all the good times I had with dear friends. And how I wish I could hear everyone’s laughter in the snow once more.

As I sat in the car on my way home from work, I felt sorry for the people whose car batteries died. What bad luck for a car to break down on the icy roads. Gave up waiting in the traffic and ended up pulling by the side and had a wee bit of fun playing in the snow.

And once more I wish I could go back in time to be with the friends of sunshine, rain and snow.

PS – Won’t be updating for a while. Will be in London working. Then off to Paris for a short break. So wishing everyone Happy Valentine’s Day! And yes Happy Chinese New Year! It’s the year of the pig again, can’t believe I was only 12 the last piggy year!

5 comments:

Stella said...

Hey! send me the pic of the red flowers!!:) I kinda miss snow...
Yes it's the year of the Pig & it's going to be prosperous in its own very way..
Miss ya gal.

PJ said...

hey i got your e-mail but im cant reply it cos its getting late. need to go before it gets dark.

im soooo happy for you!!! hugs..xxxxxx

Stella said...

p.s: forgot to add: KUNG SHEE FAT CHOY!!!!!! I so miss last year's potluck!!!
ok ok go home la, dun be too late:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Pei Jie!

Haven't read your blog for so so long! Yea, there's thick snow everywhere now. Classes were cancelled for 2 days due to blizzard warning....anyways, keep warm and take care!

PJ said...

hi stella. i haven't checked mail for a week and my 4 inboxes are bursting. and i think im gonna be late for class again.

hi vicky, happy cny!! where have you been?? anyway, hope you are well and keeping warm. x