Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The Scenery

Follow up on the last entry… I haven’t met any mean people yet. Or maybe they have not shown their true colours yet. So far it has been alright but a good friend advised me that people are not as simple and nice as they seem to be. Relationships at work are not as simple like at uni or at school. It is definitely more complicated. There is competition. People are ambitious. Everyone has got their own strategies. Its just so bloody complicated. I realised that I have been naïve. Things are not as simple as they appear to be.

And yes Charlene, you are right. Its all in the eyes. Actually I have been quite lucky that despite majority people being fake, I have actually encountered some really genuine nice people. Its all in their smiles and yes their eyes. Their genuine kindness had warmed my heart and I am ever so grateful to have met them. Not many but its comforting to know that there are people who are genuinely nice.

Today, I attended a conference. I am reminded again that I am working with the leading firm in this profession. Thousands of people apply every year and only about 5 % get through. How the hell did I get through? I look around me and I am surrounded by all these extremely smart, ambitious, charismatic people. The type AA people… and I am just ordinary average type B person. I must have got in by some mistake.

The first few weeks at work had been tough. I felt lost. I was struggling to adapt to the ‘new’ life. It made me think a lot about what I want and where I want to be. Things are getting better now that I am actually learning to enjoy this ‘new’ life. Its not about surviving the fast paced stressful life but to enjoy the scenery as we move along ever so quickly.

PS - Happy Birthday to Charlene!!!! Trick or treat?? Happy Halloween and beware of the scary kids...Kids these days are scary!!

8 comments:

Charlene said...

heeh thanks!!! so did u get tricked by any kids.. lucky me... there's no halloween kiddies here..haha

well i can't remeber from where i red a story once..but i guess being ignorant or stupid is the best soemtimes.. when u know nothing.. u won't think a lot.. trying fidn out too much ain't that good for brains soemtimes..okie that's what me(lazy one) tend to do..hehe

Anonymous said...

hey hey..
i tumpang now. HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHARLENE!!

PJ, just hang in there. u r in this for ur whole-life now.
beware of "parasites"..but that only happens ocassionally. :P
in this workin world, it's hard to be "nice, naive"..as ppl will step-ON-u(bully).
watever it is,...u stil have me and charlene!!(haha..is that comforting or just plain disappointing??)

PJ said...

charlene, the kids here are really scary!!!

ya ignorance is bliss.

so what did you do to celebrate your bday?

celina, working life is tough. just spent an hour on the phone with my manager. he was patiently explaining how to do the work to me step by step.and i feel really stupid but hopefully things will get better and one day i will be teaching people how to do stuffs. ;-)

its really hard trying to be nice and not being too much of a pushover. oh well... just be true i guess.. xxx

Charlene said...

heh thanks Cik Celina!!!

err welldidn'tdo much just order pizza and ate it wif my family..heeh... guess tas u get older..bday celebration gets boring and dull too....

well at least ur manager is still willing to teach u..that's good..

ya.. no worries.. u still have both of us celina and me... err i guess that is half comforting to u,.. or maybe ngithmare...hehe

PJ said...

aww...dats nice.
i haven't had bday with family for 3 years!!!
and last year they sent me a card and all they wrote was Happy Birthday. oh well.. shows how much they miss me...

Deriku said...

good luck in everything :)

PJ said...

thanks derek...;-)

Charlene said...

well... maybe ur parents are too shy to write too many words on ur bdy card..hehe well at least they send u one.. so that's not too bad