Friday, January 05, 2007

Bits and Pieces

I Fantasize

I fantasize doing it all the time.

I always dream about me being a waitress in a funky café.

I know it is strange.

There is something about those white tops and the black aprons.

I know this probably sounds crazy.

Maybe I have been eating too much at the business café which serve over-priced burgers.

I can actually picture myself being a waitress but I don’t want to be just a waitress.

I want to be The Boss-tress.

Now I sound even crazier.

Maybe once I saved enough money to not worry about money I will change profession.

Till that day comes I will just have to be content at being a boring office worker.

Coookies


Made some cookies for my kind land lady. Recipe from 101 Cookbooks. Absolutely gorgeous cookies.


Great Chocolate Chip Cookies from David Lebovitz's Great Book of Chocolate
1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar1/2 cup (120 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar8 tablespoons (1 stick) (115 grams) unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1/2-inch (1cm) pieces1 large egg1 teaspoon vanilla extract1/2 teaspoon baking soda1 1/4 cups (175 grams) all-purpose flour1/4 teaspoon salt1 1/2 cups (200 grams) semisweet chocolate chips1 cup(130 grams) walnuts or pecans, toasted and chopped
Adjust the oven rack to the top 1/3 of the oven and preheat to 300F (150C). Line three baking sheets with parchment paper.
Beat the sugars and butters together until smooth. Mix in the egg, vanilla, and baking soda. Stir together the flour and salt, then mix them into the batter. Mix in the chocolate chips and nuts.
Scoop the cookie dough into 2-tablespoon (5cm) balls and place 8 balls, spaced 4 inches (10cm) apart, on each of the baking sheets.
Bake for 18 minutes, or until pale golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Make about 20 cookies.


Can’t get enough of savoury rice after the paella. So I made cheesy baked rice with carrots and beans for dinner yesterday. This dish is dedicated to KH who made this dish at Kensington Road. When I took out the hot ramekins, melting with cheese from the oven, I could feel a fuzzy, fuzzy feeling of warmth in the cold winter night.


True Calling
I love telling people about my brother. I could feel this sense of pride in me when people ask me about my brother. It is an amazing feeling which lights up my eyes. I am so proud of him.


Who Moved My Cheese?
Life is no straight and easy corridor along
which we travel free and unhampered
but a maze of passages,
through which we must seek our way,
lost and confused, now and again
checked in a blind alley.
But always, if we have faith,
a door will open for us,
not perhaps one that we ourselves
would ever have thought of
but one that will ultimately
prove good for us. - A J Cronin


This book is a best seller by Dr Spencer Johnson.
The story is predictable and nothing new really.
But it is a great reminder to everyone that changes in life is nothing to be afraid of.
I especially love the phrase ‘What would you do if you weren’t afraid?’
A lot have changed in my life. I also realised that I am not as content as I used to be. I miss my old me and I hate it that the environment is taking me further and further away from the person that I am. But I also realised that I have the power to be stay true. It won’t be easy but I hope I am strong enough to stay true and if I ever do change, I hope it is to become a better me.

7 comments:

Charlene said...

and i can just think of song if ur'e reallying working a swaitres...
'she's a lady..woooohooooo she's a lady'..haha

Kian said...

me also long time din make this dish liao.... almost 4gotten that i've done this b4.... maybe should try some time later....

p/s: was your family affected by the flood in muar??


KH

Stella said...

Hey you've been cooking up a storm! great cooking dude!!

Anonymous said...

PJ's blog always make me H.U.N.G.R.Y...

PJ said...

hahaha..charlene, now you got that song in my head!

hey kian hui, i saw your vegetarian shepherd's pie. i had the same idea too!! but never got round to making it, you beat me to it. my parents are fine, they didn't have water supply for a week because of the flood. my mum was very very cranky because of that but all is well now. seems like you having a fab time in Ipoh! now got cheap flights by Air Asia to UK, you can fly over for the weekend to visit your sis. ;-p

stella, the cooking here is crap compared to what you have on your blog. so happy to get your e-mail first thing this morning.

celina, you know it is really strange but when im working, i don't feel hungry at all but once i stop, i get really hungry. its crazy i tell you.

Anonymous said...

hey PJ, you can do whatever you want to do, if you really want to! I believe in you, and I will always believe in you. Since I was in primary you and ur bro ZS have been our role models, the examples we are constantly compared against and have to live up to. You're strong enough:D

PJ said...

hey viv, er..i dun think im qualified to be a role model. im quite screwed up sometimes.

i hope you will find your dreams one day! ;-)