Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Fairy Tales



I remember when I was kid. I used to watch the video tape of my cousins in Disneyland USA. I loved that tape! My uncle made it for grandma and she used to put it on lots. She never sits down to watch it though. After a while she will be out in the garden or kitchen. She is not one that can sit still to finish a video or anything on TV. I remember she had some Chinese Opera videos. She would get us to put it on and after 10 minutes she will be in the garden. Thats my grandma.

One of the things that I remember of my cousin's trip to Disneyland was they went on a 'Its A Small World' ride! They did lots of other stuff there but the one thing that really stick in my mind was It's a small world ride.

And suprisingly that was the One thing that I really love when I went to Disneyland Paris. I love love love it!

After watching my uncle's video, I remember asking my dad to bring us to Disneyland. And he was like '..you are too young to go. Wait till you are older.' I must have been almost 11 then. I told him Disneyland is for kids, I don't want to go when I am older! I was pretty wise for an 11 year old. And I was right and so was dad.

Disneyland is the biggest commercialization ever! I am not sure if I want to bring my kids there and spend money on overpriced food and queue for ages to go on rides. Perhaps I will if I am rich. It is fun, happy place for kids. I had a good time at Disneyland with Stella but part of me felt like I am too old for Disneyland. Mickey Mouse and gang doesn't impress me anymore. Although I love all the made in China stuff they sell at the Disney store! Disneyland has got to be the biggest money making machine in the world! Hate it or love it.

Perhaps that is why I never really fancied going to Disneyland.
I dislike how commercialised it is. Making parents spend shit lots of money for their spoilt kids.

Perhaps I have stopped believing in fairy tales and happy endings.
Do I want my kids to believe in fairy tales and happy endings?
I don't know. I will have to let them make their mind about that.

But I would love to go on the It's a Small World ride again. Maybe I will bring my kids there after all. Perhaps they can help me believe in fairy tales and happy endings.



P/s - Just read back my post. Have to laugh because it sounds like I already have lots of kids! Trying to make sense of my hectic calendar. I wish I am on the plane with some gin and tonic. That will be bliss... no calendars, no datelines...just chill for 12 hours.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I shamelessly adore and love Disneyland. And Disneyworld. I've been there way too many times for my own good =D

PJ said...

hahahaha...its a cool place esp the its a small world boat ride!!

next time i go i will get a special pass so i don't have to queue! but i will leave my kids at home. dun want to spoil them too much. :-p